Saturday, September 18, 2010

Third Semester

After an EXCELLENT trip to California over our August/September break, where we saw Granny Etta, the Sagers and all of the California cousins, Andrew's third semester at Ross is underway. It's strange to be less than half-way done, and feel like there's so much more time to go, while knowing that next semester we'll be half-way done, which sounds like there's not much time at all left. I guess it's just unusual to be somewhere temporarily, with a specific ending date.
Beau is growing and learning so much lately. He cracks us up with the way he's learning to "talk." I know it seems ridiculous to list the words that he says because he says new words every single day, but for some reason I feel like stopping time and listing them here. Otherwise, I'll never do it! Here is Beau's vocabulary. Some of them have only been uttered once, and he won't repeat them, but THAT COUNTS!

Here are the regulars:

Mama, Dada, Up, Down, Ball, Hello, Hi, Bye Bye, Uh-oh, Bubble, Pool, Flower, Bird, Meow, Cat, Moo, Woof, Bah Bah, Ooh Eeh (Monkey Sound), Car, Bath, Purple, Blue, Yellow,

Here are the one-timer/shockers:

Patricio (who is his classmate... Andrew and I didn't hear it ourselves, but it was alleged by his teacher at daycare, and Beau's third favorite person in St. Kitts, Alem), Backpack, Diaper, Outside, Bathroom, Belly button,

He may only say these words, but he understands EVERYTHING I say! I'll tell him to go get his bubbles, and he'll walk right over to the closet where we keep them. Also, Andrew and I send him back and forth on "errands." Like, "go bring Mommy this cup." And he does it! He's like our little house elf.

He is also growing so much developmentally. Any time he hears music he starts shakin' that thang! He loves walking up and down stairs on his own, and looking underneath things.

I also took a giant step for me today by FINALLY buying a fresh fish here... and hacking off the head all by myself! I have been wanting to buy fresh (and refrigerated) fish on this freakin' ISLAND for the nine months that I've lived here, and finally found a good place today. The Basseterre Fishery Complex on Bay Road has really nice looking fish. I got a 2.5 lb Red Snapper for $37 EC (about $15 US). After I dramatically hacked off the head and tail, I cut it in half and seasoned it with butter, dijon mustard, fresh Thai basil from our plant, parmesan cheese and a little Kosher salt and pepper. Tonight we're going to BBQ it. I hope it comes out as good as it tastes in my head!

As I am writing this, our electricity just turned off! Oh the joys of living in St. Kitts! At least I know that my gas grill will work tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment